Thursday, January 24, 2013

Bush Whacking through the jungle...



The closest I have come to an actual jungle is March 2011 in Brazil on a river branch of the Amazon.  I can't believe that it has been almost 2 years since I took that leap of flying down to Brazil  hopping on a boat, and having the privilege of serving the people of the Amazon River.  But the lush jungles made it hard to reach the people of the Amazon; for this reason most travel is done solely by boat.  Sandy shores scattered with little villages pushed down to the waters edge due to the landscape.


Jungles grow up and down; from vines to trees, lush land covers, bushes, marshy areas.  According to good ole Wikipedia, "The biodiversity of plant species is the highest on Earth with some experts estimating that one square kilometer (247 acres) may contain more than a thousand types of trees and thousands of species of other higher plants." 


So it is thick!  This is a picture from my trip; hopefully you can picture the density and diversity.  Well I didn't do any bush whacking on this particular trip; but it does set the stage for what I would be doing for the next two years; and am still doing...Bush Whacking!  


I've seen a few machetes in my several mission trips; always something that the men want to bring home as their souvenir.  They usually aren't big and to be effective they need a lot of perseverance to make any sort of a path in this type of landscape.  Take this trail in the amazon...

Well I am truly a Bush whacker through the jungle...forming new paths of healthier life... I will acknowledge a thought in my mind; then hold it up to truth; if it is another lie that I have bought into, then WHACK!!  I dispute it as a lie straight from the pit of hell.  I am learning to not walk in my well worn path of discouragement, self deprecating thoughts, lies, bondage, and shame.   As my counselor says, "it is time to walk through the thick shrubs and form new pathways."





My old path is really well established; I walked it for 30 years and in someways it is comfortable, predictable, and easy.  But it ends in the same place, a marshy pit with an alligator taking guard  and I have always jumped right in.  I know its' crazy to swim in the amazon...but we all do it at times.  We walk the wrong path, maybe even run down it and jump in head first.  My pit is hopelessness, depression, lies (usually when I am in there I dig down even deeper all while getting eaten alive by my own bitterness, guilt, and shame.)

On my amazon trip I was struggling but felt I needed to smile and just serve.  Then there was this tug on my heart to ask to share at that days women's bible study my testimony.  All my emotions where screaming that I was crazy!!  I don't talk about the bad stuff; I am or was an excellent emotional stuffer for 23 years.  What was I thinking!!  I didn't know it at the time but that was the first time I pulled out my machete and took a whack at the shame I was carrying.  I shared parts of my story that I hadn't told my soul mate, yet alone friends, or even counselor.  My molestation was out!!  In the jungles of the amazon I shared, and I couldn't stop bush whacking after that!!  and it is hard and tiring.  Sometimes others have become victim to my new path making, as am learning to swing my machete for the first time at emotions and hurts that I stuffed.  But I am whacking away and am forming a new path for myself.  I sweat tears, pour out stuffed emotions on paper; and sometimes I find myself on the old path.  But I know the strength I have is a gift from God, and I just pull out my machete to find my new path again.

2 Corinthians 5:17 , "Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come."  -  Oh sweet truth I am new and the old is gone!!  Love this and claim this verse everyday!  

(Pictures taken my someone else; lost my camera on the trip.  I think it was my fifth
 since I got married.  Sorry honey.)

10 comments:

  1. Wow! Whack away, sister Dreamer! I'm with you, too, in the stuffing category, carrying hurts far too long. I'm so glad and thankful that you are able to begin cutting away the jungle and stepping free. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olivia Thank you for your sweet comment!! I will be praying for you as well. I think the whole human race is carrying something that needs a good whack!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a former emotion stuffer, what a great step you've taken. I had to learn to feel my feelings - to realize they are just feelings and while they are always real, they aren't always true.

    When I first started though, the force and ferocity of my feelings sort of scared me. That does get better - I promise. It's just sort of like when you try to hold a beach ball under the water, when you let it go, it shoots really, really high in the sky. BUT, when you don't try to hold it down, it floats on the surface.

    I'm looking forward to reading more about your journey! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouraging words...I love the beach ball example.

      Delete
  4. Oh girl, I know those well-worn pathways you write about. They are stubborn, but can be changed...and you're doing it!!! LOVE THAT!! God is so amazing that He can change even the pathways in our mind. From someone else who had pretty deep ruts in her mind, thank you for this post and your honesty. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God is amazing...he is paving new paths in each of us. Thank you for stopping by...I love your blog by the way.

      Delete
  5. I love how God is working in your life. What an incredible journey!! I can definitely relate to "getting eaten alive by my own bitterness, guilt, and shame." I thank the Lord for the way He claims our souls and gives us strength to whack-away the old. In Him we really are born NEW. Thank you for opening your soul and putting it down on paper :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise God for God! I love the way you stated that he claims our souls and gives us strength... Thank you for your words.

      Delete
  6. Good for you! Keep whacking away on your road to freedom. With you in prayer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am praying for you as well. Thanks for journeying with me.

      Delete

Thank you dear friend for stopping by. Please leave a message or question; look back and I will reply. Thank you and God bless, Alyson