Saturday, December 8, 2012

You are lovable...Not defined by what happened...



Recently written by a dear brave sojourner and friend...


"Rain drips down and settles in pebble-shaped designs on my car windows.  I am glad for it.  It obstructs the view from the outside looking in and hides me from the world.  I sit, cradling my hot latte’ taking in its warmth and comfort.  In a few minutes I must leave this place to continue on with life but for now, this is my fortress of solitude.
The conversation I just had with my counselor is settling into my brain and I am trying to recall all his words.  The words are like gold to me and yet in my jumble of thoughts and emotions I struggle to grasp at the truths he offered:  “What you went through is a form of molestation”  “You are not defined by what happened.”  “You are lovable.”
Even more precious to me is what my heavenly Father spoke: “ I love you”  “You are clean and pure because of Jesus’ blood.”  
I pause to wave at a friend who walks by and I realize I am not actually hidden from the world.  I am brought back to the reality of the day.  Grateful that my heavenly Father walks every step with me, I pull myself out of my sanctuary and into the rain of life."

Sadly the statistics are startling: As many as one in three girls and one in seven boys will be sexually abused at some point in their childhood.(Briere, J., Eliot, D.M. Prevalence and Psychological Sequence of Self-Reported Childhood Physical and Sexual Abuse in General Population: Child Abuse and Neglecti, 2003, 27 10.) Many studies think that the stats are actually higher due to the secrecy of such abuses.  

Well my brave friend isn't alone nor am I, we are both survivors and made new by our loving heavenly father.  I also know we aren't alone...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you dear friend for stopping by. Please leave a message or question; look back and I will reply. Thank you and God bless, Alyson