Sunday, December 23, 2012

An invitation to rest...God rest ye merry gentlemen


I think differently about this oh so familiar Christmas song now...God gives rest and asks us to not dismay...  Why?  Because Christ came as our Savior to save us from all Satan's power.  Oh how this is my prayer.  What a wonderful gift offered.  Better than anything under our tree.
Though I have allowed Satan to have power in my life; baby Jesus came to give us comfort and joy.  Satan's power has manifested in me as shame, fear, doubt, hopelessness, anxiety, depression, and anger.  But through the precious gift of redeeming grace I have been redeemed and see this working in my life.  Oh the redeeming grace I need more!!  According to Webster's dictionary redeem means "to free from distress, free from captivity, to change for the better".  Oh my heart yells Me! Me! Me!! 
All of this redemption, saving, comfort and joy is wrapped in a swaddling clothes lying in a manger 2000 plus years ago, but the gift is still available today.   I have tried to find it in perfectionism, consumerism, and people pleasing all to my demise.  John 10:10 Jesus says, "The thief (Satan) comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."
May you be blessed as you read this song for yourself.  


God rest ye merry, gentlemen,Let nothing you dismay,Remember Christ our SaviorWas born on Christmas Day;To save us all from Satan's powerWhen we were gone astray.O tidings of comfort and joy,Comfort and joy,O tidings of comfort and joy!
From God our heavenly FatherA blessed angel came;And unto certain shepherdsBrought tiding of the same;How that in Bethlehem was bornThe Son of God by name.
"Fear not, then," said the angel,"Let nothing you affright;This day is born a SaviorOf a pure virgin bright,To free all those who trust in himFrom Satan's power and might."
Now to the Lord sing praises,All you within this place,And with true love and brotherhoodEach other now embrace;this holy tide of ChristmasDoth bring redeeming grace






















Romans 6: 23, "Tor the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."  Except the best gift this year!  Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you dear friend for stopping by. Please leave a message or question; look back and I will reply. Thank you and God bless, Alyson