Thursday, November 29, 2012

Waited, broken, anguish, restored by God's Faithfulness

Isaiah 38:14-19

"I waited patiently till dawn, but like a lion he broke all my bones; day and night you made an end of me.

I cried like a swift or thrush, I moaned like a mourning dove. My eyes grew weak as I looked to the heavens. I am troubled; O Lord, come to my aid!

But what can I say?  He has spoken to me, and he himself has done this.  I will walk humbly all my years because of this anguish of my soul.

Lord, by such things men live; and my spirit finds life in them too.  You restored me to health and let me live.  

Surely it was for my benefit that I suffered such anguish.  In your love you kept me from the pit of destruction; you have put all my sins behind your back.  

For the grave cannot praise you, death cannot sing your praise; those who go down to the pit cannot hope for your faithfulness.  

The living, the living- they praise you, as I am doing today; fathers tell their Children about your faithfulness." (Emphasis is mine)


Lord knows I waited, felt broken, shed tears, moaned and grew weary.  The verses above is written by the King of Judah- Hezekiah after God spared his life from death.

I love how the scriptures, and in this case Hezekiah's writings so relate to feeling our lives and feelings today.  The scriptures are timeless, living word, active, and sharper than any double edged sword!!

 I too have felt like I have been on deaths door and have cried out to God for mercy from suppressed pain, or feelings that felt like I was going to die.  "Lord come to my aid!!"  He cried after turning his face from the prophet Isaiah that just told him he was going to die!!

 And guess what God answered him after the waiting, brokenness  tears, moaning, and weariness.  He was restored to health and promised 15 more years of life (as written in Isaiah 38).  He even calls his anguish being for his own benefit; that God even inflicted it in love to keep him from the pit of hopelessness and faithlessness.  Hear me again it says, "Surely it was for my benefit that I suffered such anguish."  Because, "In your love you kept me from the pit of destruction."

Oh Lord, God how you have kept me from the pit of destruction again and again.  Like Hezekiah may I walk humbly because of the anguish I have felt, sing your praises, and teach others about your faithfulness.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you dear friend for stopping by. Please leave a message or question; look back and I will reply. Thank you and God bless, Alyson