Sunday, November 11, 2012

Under attack...Stand Ephesians 6:10-18

Ephesians 6: 10-18,

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.

Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes.

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the authorities against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything to stand.

Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist,
with the breastplate of righteousness in place,

and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.
In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.  

Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.  With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints."



The Lord calls us to His power; maybe because even our strongest can't compete with the strength of the Lord; the power that parts the seas, raises the dead, heals the sick....and then He asks us to Stand!! (emphasis is mine).  This means a lot to me.  I seem to find refuge and apparent safety in laying down in a prone position of surrender in my bed.  That's not the calling here in Ephesians 6.  If I am Standing, I can see the devil's schemes more clearly; maybe even as they advance.  Now clearly I can't do it on my own, only in Lord's mighty Power.  You think it would be easy to get up on to my two feet and bring myself up but even in the first verse God acknowledges His mighty work is needed to just do this act of Standing.

So now to put on the full armor of God.  So that again I can stand and then stand again and once more stand firm ; and I go back to God's mighty power because I can't do this on my own power.  

First the belt of truth; I just envision my pants hitting the floor without this belt of God's truth surrounding me.  With my pants around my ankle it is so hard to stand and stand firm.  I need to be in the truth, memorizing the truth, and receive solid Bible teaching.  Next the breastplate of righteousness   Sounds heavy to me yet the the Lord promises His yoke is easy and His burden is light (Matthew 11:30). I envision a guard over my heart from lies attacks and sins.  

Feet with the readiness of the Gospel;  a quote from Greg Laurie sums it up, "it’s the idea of being ready and willing to move at a moment’s notice, for those opportunities to share the gospel often come when we least expect them."  And to be ready we must know the gospel study it, breathe it.  


Next my shield of faith needs to be held up, oh I struggle with this too.  Just today I learned that in our culture many times we see faith as a noun, but originally it is a verb to have faith (believe that God is who he says he is and will do what he promised (an active call)).  And as I hold it up with the help of the Lords mighty strength sometimes with the help of my brothers and sister's in Christ; then every fiery dart will be extinguished (like the ones "when are you due?"  Someone implied that I was pregnant last week, ouch it hurt to hear that.  I replied "a little over 3 years ago."  Satan was trying to shoot me with the dart attacking my self image).  What a promise I want to hold up my shield!!

Finally the helmet of salvation and the the sword of the Spirit all from the word of God.  So then again I need the word living and active word of God....And then we Stand and PRAY....  Let's Stand and Pray together...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you dear friend for stopping by. Please leave a message or question; look back and I will reply. Thank you and God bless, Alyson