Saturday, August 11, 2012

Rest

In the New International Version the word "Rest" is used 267 times. Even the God creator of the universe takes time to rest; as modeled in Genesis. And then reaffirmed in Exodus by the ten commandments. And then Jesus again models the idea of Resting with God, and even speaks his truth of the written word of the Old Testament. I think we can agree that God desires this "Rest" for us.

 He carefully makes us a nest. Many types of birds pull feathers from their own chest to make it safe for the egg and then baby bird; sounds like a painful sacrifice to me.  God did something even more painful and even a bigger of a sacrifice for us to find Rest.  1 John 4:9-10, "This is how God showed his love among us; He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him.  This is love; not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins."  A painful death on the Cross that experts estimate the process lasting 6 agonizing hours.

But with out this ultimate sacrifice of God; allowing his Son to die; we couldn't find this pure and perfect rest. John 15:5, "I am the vine: you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." Jesus wants us to remain in him (unlike mama birds I don't picture him pushing us out of his nest); rather he wants us to taste him and stay in him.  In God with complete dependence on him, we can stop all the trying and allow him to be our strength and a vehicle for change.  I tried working to change, and I ended up exhausted and worse off.  As I have rested in God's promise, I have found the greatest peace and rest for my weary soul.

Psalm 34:8, "Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him." May I take refuge and rest in Him. That is the only thing he asks in this verse is for us to take refuge in him, it isn't burdensome, it sounds wonderful. Matthew 11:28 confirms the only perfect rest is found in His nest, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for you souls. For my burden is light."
photo from russ jefferson

Lord my prayer is to find sweet rest in your nest. Teach me to abide in you.  I have tasted and seen that You, Lord are good and give Peace; may I Take refuge in you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you dear friend for stopping by. Please leave a message or question; look back and I will reply. Thank you and God bless, Alyson