Friday, August 3, 2012

A Grateful Heart

God is stirring something new in me and I love it... It does take discipline; but God has been gracious to remind me that in 2 Timothy 1 verse 7, God did not give me a spirit of fear but of power, love and self-discipline.  When fear overcomes me I now dispute it, through God's spirit.  I choose to walk in the power of God's power that rose Jesus from the dead, claim his love, and walk in self-discipline.

So a new development in me has been Gratitude and it has taken discipline.  After being inspired by "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp, I started to write down all the things I am thankful for.  The days that this has been the hardest is on those days where it is hard to find a smile.  You know the ones where you woke up on the wrong side of the bed (aka a child's voice yelling Mama!! right in your face).  Anyhow I am almost at 500 things that I am grateful for.  Writing them, and sometimes forcing myself; has helped me find joy in even my "darkest days."

I am thankful for the gifts of...

385) Lunch in the warm sun
389) Learning to draw

391) My oldest sons determination to catch a fish

393) Worship music echoing through the cabin with the sound of the river in the background.



408) Sticky fingers covered in Marshmallows


414) Memories of being pregnant with each of my boys at some point at the cabin
415) The memory of getting engaged to my lover and friend- we recently celebrated 9 years of marriage


447) At a spot of mental health- able to look my boys in the eye and do life with them (feel what they feel and not be afraid of my own emotions)


4 comments:

  1. Your drawing is amazing!! I am serious! Pulls me in to a peaceful place and i want to stay there. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I've never been artistic so I feel self conscious about sharing it. But I enjoy it. It forces me to not strive for perfectionism, because art is just that art not perfect! Aly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am reading One Thousand Gifts and I am very inspired to slow down and be thankful for every little wonderful moment in my day. Her book is amazing and I loved reading your post today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy I hope that you are as encouraged as I have been. I love her blog as well. Love Aly

    ReplyDelete

Thank you dear friend for stopping by. Please leave a message or question; look back and I will reply. Thank you and God bless, Alyson