Sunday, April 8, 2012

Learning the spirit of thanks in all circumstances...

In Job 2: 10 Job replied to his wife who asked him to curse God; the God who allowed Satan to kill all his children and then inflicted him with sores.  To my surprise he could have cursed God,  Job said, "you (as in Job's wife) are talking like a foolish woman.  Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?"

Is that how you would reply?  I know that my spirit tends to get angry, not gracious like Job. After Job hears that everyone of his oxen, donkey, sheep, camels, servants, daughters and sons have been killed; "he got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship." (Job 1:20)  Do you hear that worship!!

My hearts desire is to learn to worship in thanksgiving in the worst of circumstances; in the deepest of my pits and on the sickest of my days.  Verse 1:21 Job says to the Lord in his grief, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart.  The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; many the name of the Lord be praised."  Job praised the Lord even when all his livestock, servants and offspring were taken.

I have a hard time when I have gastrintestinal problems for 4 days to praise his name.  If I have a hard day with the children I have a hard time praising his name.  If depression and it's symptoms come I have a hard time praising his name.  Let me be honest I tend to be a "glass half empty" person; thankfulness doesn't come naturally.  I have been challenged through reading One thousand gifts by Ann Voskamp to begin journaling 1000 things I am thankful for. 

#90 Supportive friends and family to help get through hard times #91 Diarrhea that took my mind of being depressed (sorry for the graphic thought). #92 Healthy family #93 Forgiveness and Grace from a loving husband #94 A risen savior that has conquered death

Here is to learning to be thankful in all circumstances. 

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, "be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you dear friend for stopping by. Please leave a message or question; look back and I will reply. Thank you and God bless, Alyson