Thursday, March 22, 2012

Spring cleaning to tent making...letting go of perfectionism

One of the flowers that I've enjoyed lately is my boys. But this day in particular started with a major undertaking.

I was spring cleaning probably for the first time in my life. I've never had the energy or will power to take on such as a task. (I have in the past hired house cleaners behind my husbands back, don't worry I have confessed this to Tyler already). I committed to the living room and half bathroom to start. The boys were racing their shake go cars, as I scrubbed the floors; even under the couch, TV, side board, rugs.

Just as I was finishing dusting the blinds with my husbands socks (mind the fact you can't plan on returning socks to the drawer after this undertaking); the boys started constructing a tent in my newly cleaned living room!!!!  This room which I had spent the last three hours scrubbing, vacuuming, dusting, polishing, etc. 

Well thankfully my new thought process quickly quieted my old perfectionist way of thinking. So I joined in to make perhaps our best tent yet. It had three rooms, with plenty of space for a two year old, four year old, and a 31 year old mama. And the best part, it was a blast!

I completely shocked myself to allow for a goldfish snack in "the worlds best tent;" according to a four year old. The joy I would have missed if hadn't laid down my fear that I might have to vacuum again or just let it go.

When we sat down for dinner Noah and Jacob listed tent making as one of their favorite activities of the day. Praise God for the new flowers in my life. I truly feel that I now stop and smell the roses (sorry for the cliche but it is true).

 Psalm 34:8, "Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you dear friend for stopping by. Please leave a message or question; look back and I will reply. Thank you and God bless, Alyson