Friday, March 9, 2012

God loves Broken People



I was blessed with the opportunity to hear Sheila Walsh speak this week in Plano, TX.  A month ago a friend recommended to me to listen to her story on Focus on the Family, and I was so blessed to hear that out of her terrible depression and brokenness God used her story to bless other.  All of this happened once she was honest with her own brokenness.

So many times I still try to pretend I am not broken; trying to cover it with perfectionism, following rules, and "holding it together."  This week for example I began and frankly felt exhausted, fatigued and on the edge of a break down.  Instead of confessing it I pushed on and on.  Trying to keep the front that I am a great mother, doing great, with no hint of depression.  Well that got me it trouble, yesterday I had to spend 14 hours in bed recovering.  I should have just admitted my brokenness to my husband and mother and law;  and asked for the help I so desperately needed.

I have this mentality that if I "keep it together" others will love me more, think I am a better person... But the amazing truth is that God loves me even in my brokenness.  In fact he couldn't love me any more even if I was a perfect as humanly possible.  Oh the joy of unconditional perfect love that asks for no performance from me.  I can just rest in his love today and always.  

"The good news is that no matter what we've suffered in the past or no matter how dark the valley we find ourselves in today- whether our brokenness results from what others have done to us or what we have done to ourselves- we have a heavenly Shepherd who cares for us deeply and loves us fiercely."  excerpt from Sheila's book.

Isaiah 40:11
He tends his flock like a shepherd:
He gathers the lambs in his arms
and carries them close to his heart;
he gently leads those that have young.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you dear friend for stopping by. Please leave a message or question; look back and I will reply. Thank you and God bless, Alyson