Thursday, March 15, 2012

The DTR

Do you remember that first kiss; the one that took your breath away and then your heart skips a beat?  I do!!  We just had just had the talk.  You know the DTR or Defining the Relationship talk.  We were over-looking Summerland Beach, near Santa Barbara, CA; eating burgers and enjoying the view.  At that point we both agreed to take it slow and just enjoy dating and see where the Lord leads.  Well I think that sparked a greater love in Tyler because within the next week he planned this romantic date which ended up with us breaking into a Montecito Community pool to enjoy their hot tub.  Sorry parents, yes we broke in to something!!  Well anyhow Tyler later confessed that he had planned our first kiss that night.   We had been dating for several months and just enjoyed riding bikes, surviving city college classes, working multiple jobs and then was this moment...   A moment that most girls dream of...where he so politely asked if he could kiss me.  Ahhh!!  If you know that feeling... you can almost feel it.  My heart was beating so hard and I felt it skip a beat.  And then he kissed me!!  Little did I know that my life was to change forever after that.  I had experienced loves kiss and knew that if he asked; I desired to spend the rest of my life with him.  A birth of a new deep love; that makes you want to sacrifice your old dreams for new ones. 

Genesis 1:28, "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him male and female he created them."  So this love that we began one evening, well it was in the works for some time; was all part of God's creation.  In the Old Testament; God's love is weaved within the pages.  I used to equate the Old Testament with Law and Judgement.  But love is there!!  Setting up the greatest love story of all time.  Though I would argue that Tyler and My love story is phenomenal; God's Love story with us is even greater.

Moses speaks of God's love for the Israelites even after their idolatry in Exodus 34:6..."The LORD, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness..."  God remained faithful to the covenant he made with his people to love them despite their unfaithfulness.  The book of Judges is full of God's love...his people rebel, commit adultery, they call back to God, and He in His love answers them, rescuing them again and again.  I don't think if  in our love story (as in Ty and mine) had adultery and idolatry that we could still define our relationship as a great love Story.   Rather our story might be a sad tragedy of revoked love.

You may be asking how does this relate to Tyler's and my love and that DTR moment with God?  Well, God Determined his Relationship with us in the very beginning.  In the Garden of Eden man and woman walked without shame in perfect relationship with God. That was the Relationship that God designed, perfect love, community; with God, others and nature.   And his people way back in the Old Testament and even people today rebel against the greatest relationship ever offered.  The love story that God offers is a love that can never be revoked;  and is extended to all of us.  God's love is much like my experience with my first kiss!!  He is passionately in love with us asking us to fall deeply in love with him.  A deep love that asks us to lay down our own dreams and ambitions with the promise of a joy filled life. 

John 15:13, "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."  If this is the greatest love then Rejoice!! Christ did this for me and you and I desire to fall more in love with him daily. My prayer is that you too find a deeper love in Christ.


Zephaniah 3:17, "The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save.  He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing." 

2 comments:

  1. Aly: Thanks for encouraging me on how to write back to you on this blog!! So enjoy reading about your journey. Love praying for you! God's blessings today, sweet lady!

    Linda Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. You have been an appreciated prayer warrior. Praying for you and your family. It was such a blessing to see you. Y'all put on an amazing shower.

      Delete

Thank you dear friend for stopping by. Please leave a message or question; look back and I will reply. Thank you and God bless, Alyson