Sunday, February 19, 2012

The best road is always rocky- by Tyler Jefferson


Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few. Matthew 7:13,14


I so often live my life for comfort. Look at my life...200+ channels, entertainment at my fingertips, Ipads, 12mbps Internet, a full fridge, fine wine, golf clubs, pool membership, fill in the blank. What do I need? Most people in the world would look at my life and think that I'm so very rich. Really I have no needs at all...except Christ. Those things aren't bad in and of themselves. But they do take up my time and attention. There's only 24 hours in a day, I can use it to be entertained, comforted to death. Or I can use it for something more important. I can gauge my temperature for Christ based on how much the things of this world appeal to me. Let me try to give an example. Today I went to the gym and worked out. In fact I've been working out and getting much healthier in the past several months. When I got home I was hungry. But I wasn't hungry for potato chips, soda, or ice cream. I was hungry for fruits, protein, and water. I didn't “will my way” to this desire for healthy food. It was natural. In much the same way, when my heart yearns to be closer to Christ, turning off the TV and opening the bible becomes easier.

So whats the point?


I know lots of people read this blog. Some I know, some I don't. It would feel all nice and fuzzy to just finish this by saying that the more we love God, the more we put ourselves in a position to have communion with him. Unfortunately the things of the world really do steal my attention. I'm secretly addicted to whatever the “thing of the month” is. Recently it's been in researching a new car for our family. My car is 13 years old and squeaks constantly, it runs fine, except when it shuts off suddenly...so its time for a replacement. I hate to admit this, but something as superficial as picking the perfect car gets in the way of my spiritual walk. Does that remove me from the running for “super christian?” I wish my yearning for Christ was deeper. Unfortunately I'm still a sinner and I will always be one...except I'm not. I'm not a sinner. No I'm not a heretic. Nor am I delusional. But in God's eyes I'm no longer a sinner. By Christ's propitiation (see link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propitiation), I am pure and righteous. I have to be careful here to say that we can't use Christ as a “spiritual pill”. Just taking my dose of Christ every day doesn't mean I can ignore my sin. If your doctor tells you that you have high blood pressure and there's a pill to make it better. He also will tell you that you need to eat right and exercise or you will continue to get sicker and the pill will eventually not work. You'll need more pills.


So what am I saying here? I'm a sinner. I need help. I have help. His name is Jesus. I am forgiven. There are things that will try to steal my passion. I am still forgiven.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you dear friend for stopping by. Please leave a message or question; look back and I will reply. Thank you and God bless, Alyson