Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Vision Board- Growing affection for Christ


 I lost a lot of who I am in being "depressed." I have for so long just survived and not thrived...  Stayed alive but not really lived.  So I took some time to make a vision board of who I am and want to be. It was my counselors idea.  So many mornings in the past, I have written things down to do for the day; i.e. park with kids, groceries, call a friend, paint with kids... Now this is different. It is a visual reminder to who I am and want to be that I will hang on my bathroom door.  I want to be purposeful in living a blessed life that I have been gifted with.

 In the previous season I spent a lot of time pulling weeds; now it is time to spend cultivating me.  More importantly cultivating my affection for God and who he has created me to be.  At my steps study at the Village Church, they stress that you can't just rid yourself of sin, but you have to fill it with things that cultivate your affection for Christ and furthering his kingdom. Matthew 12: 43-45 "When an evil spirit comes out of a man, it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it.  Then it says, 'I will return to the house I left.' When it arrives, it finds the house unoccupied, swept clean and put in order. Then it goes and takes with it seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there.  And the final condition of that man is worse than the first.  That is how it will be with this wicked generation."  So here I go...filling my house intentionally with good so evil won't reside in my heart. 


Some the things pictured are nursing into my old age (especially in other countries), growing fresh fruit and veggies, enjoying cooking, loving on my kids, become a NP, take more pictures, have more fun (i.e. let that silly child come out), plant more flowers (hydrangeas are my next goal),


...stay global minded, have a family that thrives, exercises, dance with my husband, grow in faith through God's word, cultivate a home to be used for ministry, sail, stay healthy, running, and enjoy the journey I am on.  All of these I want to do with the mindset of growing in my affection for Christ and ministry. 


Someone asked if I am doing this blog for greater attention...Well it has received attention but my heart is to share my struggles and learning's in hopes to minister to someone else; even if it is only one person outside of the benefit it has been to me.  Blogging has helped me focus on the truth and provided accountability to continue growing.

10 comments:

  1. Alyson ~
    You have said that one of the objectives of your blog is to help others -- yet it could appear that "no one seems to be reading it." Notice the number 1722 in the Total Views box! Also, know that some people might not be at the 'place in their life' where they are comfortable sharing their feelings. Others may feel that they don't know an appropriate response. I hope your posts are as comforting for you as they must be for others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aly, You are such a blessing to me. I pray for you everyday. I am fighting hard for my life also. Reading where you are and where you have been in your life is a great help to me. I so just want to live and love life and not have to work so hard to do it.
    keep posting... We are Deeply Loved by Jesus!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandra- I am praying for you daily. Keep up the good fight; it is worth it. I love that the truth is no matter what we are deeply Loved!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your goal boards are an excellent reminder each day to keep you going in the right direction. Depression is hard and unyielding, but something like this board, and being able to glimpse at it in passing when your feeling down, can give you that little glimmer of hope to get through the day.Blessings to you on this journey. I know God is going to use your story for His glory!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. fellow dreamer was blessed by your transparency and your writing.. what an awesome idea .. the vision board.. gonna have my clients do that. and will have to make one for myself in the process! keep blogging sister!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for being so honest and blogging about this. I walked through depression for most of my adult life (and even some of my teen yrs) and it can be nasty. Its only in the last few years that the cloud has finally lifted and I'm remembering/discovering who I am. I pray Isaiah 58:8 over you...that your light will break forth like the dawn and your healing will quickly appear...the glory of the Lord is your rear guard!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the verse from Isaiah! What a lot of wonderful goals on your board.

    In regards to readers: I would say just let it go and write as you feel led. I still struggle with numbers, but more and more remember that if I pray for guidance with my writing and follow that lead, God will connect the person or persons who need to read it, even if it is just one person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest fellow God sized Dreamers...Thank you Thank you Thank you and thank you. I love the community that is growing as we share stories and our lives. Blessings to all of you and the glory is all the Lords.

    ReplyDelete
  9. God works in ways we can't always see. Keep doing what he's calling you to do and you'll make a difference for his glory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I just was feeling conviction for living to please others. You have a good point and I need to live for an audience of one.

      Delete

Thank you dear friend for stopping by. Please leave a message or question; look back and I will reply. Thank you and God bless, Alyson