Monday, November 14, 2011

Suffer Well

I have been suffering with headaches every day since I started the higher dose of Lamictal.  I had one good week in three... And I kept hearing this little voice in my head that continued to say, "Suffer Well."  Maybe once in my past I have heard that, but I wondered what it meant.  Suffer well?  Who wants that?  Suffering?  Well I began examining what the Lord says to me and what he says about suffering. 

  • James 1: 2 " Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds..." 
  • Jeremiah 17:8 "He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream.  It does not fear when heat comes..."
  • Matthew 6:34 "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own."
  • John 6:33 " I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.  In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart! I have overcome the world."

Again and again through scripture God says that trials will come, not that they might come; rather they will come!! 
Where is that message that I grew up believing; that in Christ' life will be easier?  Here is where my prayer and heart is changing; from grumbling and discontentment to humbly accepting each day as it is.  Knowing that God knows that I struggle with depression and now daily with headaches;  my prayer is to learn to be content in all circumstances!!  Lord change my heart to be content even in my struggle (that you are enough.)  Though I have pleaded again and again for you to take my struggle away, you haven't.  Maybe not on this side of heaven will I find healing.  Till then Lord help me Suffer Well for your grace is sufficient; may I learn to me content whatever the circumstance. 

  • 2 Corinthians 12: 8-9 "Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weakness, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties, For when I am weak, then I am strong."

This quote from Charles Spurgeon is how I see this weeds in my life.  (worth reading- even through the "old English").

“Ill weeds grow apace. Covetousness, discontent, and murmuring are as natural to man as thorns are to the soil. We need not sow thistles and brambles; they come up naturally enough, because they are indigenous to earth: and so, we need not teach men to complain; they complain fast enough without any education. But the precious things of the earth must be cultivated. If we would have wheat, we must plough and sow; if we want flowers, there must be the garden, and all the gardener’s care. Now, contentment is one of the flowers of heaven, and if we would have it, it must be cultivated; it will not grow in us by nature; it is the new nature alone that can produce it, and even then we must be specially careful and watchful that we maintain and cultivate the grace which God has sown in us."
  • Philippians 4:11-13 "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances, I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want, I can do everything in him who gives me strength."

2 comments:

  1. What wonderful insight and understanding. Your post has been a blessing to me today. BTW...love the song.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you dear friend for stopping by. Please leave a message or question; look back and I will reply. Thank you and God bless, Alyson