Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Aly's Husband

Aly asked me to be a guest blogger occasionally.  She asked that I write about my experience with depression.  I was waiting for the right thing to write about and today seems to be the day.  Earlier today my son stubbed his toe.  The skin on the end of the toe was sticking out, it wasn't that bloody and he didn't even complain about it that much...until we tried to put socks on.  The skin was sticking out and it caught on things and hurt him.   I'm sure its happened to you.  The skin gets caught on something like a sock, or under the sheets and hurts all the time.  It even hurts when the wind blows on it.  Tonight at bath time I figured I would cut off that dead skin so it wouldn't hurt tonight under the covers.  I wanted to help my son...but he wasn't interested.  After crying, yelling, fighting, and pleading I got some of that dead skin off.  Mom even had to help by holding him down.  It wasn't fun for him or for me.  A few minutes later he said that I wasn't nice.  He made it clear that he didn't want me to do that anymore because it hurt. 

How do you explain to a 4 year old, that I was trying to cause a little pain now so that he could have a lot less pain later?  Then it hit me.  Or should I say God hit me with his word: "For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen, but the things that are unseen."  2 Corinthians 4:17. 

Living with a wife who has depression can be troubling.  I often feel helpless, frustrated, weak, and most of all, wondering what God is doing in all of this.  At times it does seem like an affliction.  However, these things are temporary.  Even if Aly struggles with depression for her whole life, it is temporary. 

Do I hurt when she hurts?  Yes.  Do I want to do anything I can to take the pain away?  Yes.  But that's not up to me. Today, tomorrow, or in the future we are going to encounter affliction.  Can I explain the reason for it?  Not necessarily.  Can I find absolute purpose in it?  Not always.  I can however see that God has made it clear that whatever we face in this world, it's temporary.  Therefore, I want to go into today knowing that these afflictions, troubles, and trials are just a drop of water in the ocean of eternity.

3 comments:

  1. Tyler
    Thank you for your encouraging words. We love you guys and we
    are praying for healing.
    Mom & Dad Ficht

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyler: Sweet and courageous words from a loving husband. Love you, Ty, Aly and little guys and am praying, as I have done for years, for your precious family. Linda Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda- Thanks for joining us in praying. It has been one good week. It is scary not knowing what is around the courner. Thats why we try to not worry about tomorrow...for today has enough trouble of its own.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you dear friend for stopping by. Please leave a message or question; look back and I will reply. Thank you and God bless, Alyson